Forget Candy Give Me Beer shirt, hoodie, sweater shirt
I know some conservative evangelicals may be tempted to throw this book out upon simply glancing at the title. Surely this book assumes a socially located hermeneutic or an experience-driven hermeneutic, right? Nope… McCaulley clearly states “This book is not successful if it has been innovative.” Instead, he argues for a dialogical hermeneutic – “a unified mission in which our varied cultures turn to the text in dialogue with one another to discern the mind of Christ.” McCaulley is a skillful exegete and shed insight into texts that I had never before considered. (I don’t mean this in a novel way.) McCaulley doesn’t undercut historical or orthodox interpretations of the biblical text; he simply demonstrates an enhanced dialogical understanding of a text by bringing it into conversation with the black ecclesial tradition, which he argues has a distinctive message of hope. My reading of the biblical text as a white man is no less deficient apart from this ecclesial tradition, yet, as is true of anytime I read the Bible with others, it can be enhanced through reading alongside other believers in Christ. Particularly, the black Christian experience in America carries a distinctive theme of hope.
Click here to buy: Forget Candy Give Me Beer shirt




View More Product: Luxashirt
0 Comments